Wednesday, April 15, 2009

My first quilt...

I have no news, and no finishes on the near horizon, so I guess it's time to dig in the dusty archives.

My first quilt. The name of this quilt is WOLUFO (World's Oldest Living UFO)



I started this in about 1982. It was cut using tissue patterns and scissors, and I don't think there's a single triangle the same size. I only got as far as cutting the pieces, then stuffed it all into a shoebox for about 23 years. Colors had changed in my house, so the colors in this were really hideous! And at that time I was much more "into" making clothes, than quilts.

So....fast forward to just a few years ago, when I decided I was going to really start quilting. I found that old, battered box, pulled out the pieces, and put the blocks together. Then I was faced with the challenge of finding fabrics for the sashings, borders, and plain blocks that would look OK with those 1980's calicos. I had no idea what I was doing when I went to cut the sashings, so I just winged it. I spent a ton of money for some cream, green, and gold. Cut, made some mistakes, bought more fabric, re-cut, and finally had a finished top.

I wanted to learn how to handquilt, so I figured that since everything else about this quilt was goofy and beginner-ish, that it was the perfect place to practice. I handquilted all the pieced blocks, outlining each piece, and the cream blocks are quilted with a very intricate "knot garden" type of design. I sent to a long-arm quilter who finished the sashings and borders.

Technically, this quilt is very bad. As a perfectionist, I'm shocked that I'm not terribly bothered by the all the "bad". But I love the way it looks, and I love it for all the learning that came from it. Now that I know what I'm doing, and how to cut the pieces in uniform size, I'd love to make this design again.

Now all these colors are "in" again. Go figure.

8 comments:

  1. It looks splendid to me.
    Good luck for thenext one. What colour would you make it in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't really given color any thought yet. I know it would be in 19th century reproduction fabrics. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you already knew what you were doing when you made the quilt! Very pretty and kudos to you for finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so pretty! It is wonderful to have your first quilt. Mine was a log cabin and I still have that lap quilt.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW -- for a first quilt it looks super.
    I shudder when I think of my first quilt.
    The idea was great -- the actual workmanship, however, left much to be desired.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's your first?
    I couldn't even tell!
    maa-aaaaa-aaaaaarvelous.

    You must really have true quilty blood!:-)LOL..

    love from,
    Angeliquez

    ReplyDelete
  7. That great, I'm awful at leaving things half done....
    Come over whenever, we need some help with the garden................ha ha
    There's a tribe people thought were extinct living in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's beautiful and nicely done !!!

    ReplyDelete