...well, OK...a "disaster" would be if I already had this pre-sold and received money for it, and had to make another one. This is more like "I'm not at all happy with the outcome".
I sat down today to stitch binding on this wallhanging I was making to sell, but decided some of the pieces were just TOO crooked for me to let it go out the door. I didn't really want to waste the binding strip on it, but decided the quilt was useless for anything, without it, so I quickly stitched it on by machine (wow, the back looks bad ;-) ) and didn't even finish the ends off very nicely. I was going to use it for the dog on the floor, but it's a little too small (16 inches). It would be a good size to put on my lap for the dog to lay there, which is where he spends most of his time when I'm at the computer. It would also look good on a table, under a bunch of dishes, or condiments or whatever...especially on a picnic table. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it's done. Not especially satisfying, since anything less than "well done" eats at me.
If these few crooked pieces were in a larger quilt, they would get lost in the rest of it and be fine. But on a wall, they are staring right at you, waving a neon flag that says "Look at ME! I'm CROOKED!".
I sat down today to stitch binding on this wallhanging I was making to sell, but decided some of the pieces were just TOO crooked for me to let it go out the door. I didn't really want to waste the binding strip on it, but decided the quilt was useless for anything, without it, so I quickly stitched it on by machine (wow, the back looks bad ;-) ) and didn't even finish the ends off very nicely. I was going to use it for the dog on the floor, but it's a little too small (16 inches). It would be a good size to put on my lap for the dog to lay there, which is where he spends most of his time when I'm at the computer. It would also look good on a table, under a bunch of dishes, or condiments or whatever...especially on a picnic table. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it's done. Not especially satisfying, since anything less than "well done" eats at me.
If these few crooked pieces were in a larger quilt, they would get lost in the rest of it and be fine. But on a wall, they are staring right at you, waving a neon flag that says "Look at ME! I'm CROOKED!".
So...a reminder of why I prefer making my quilts by hand.


You will find a use for it so don't go beating yourself up about it. It's not a disaster but slightly imperfect and we all have inperfections and you have learnt from it. Things like this you just have to accept and move on. I like it anyway crooked or not.
ReplyDeleteThanks for popping into my blog the other day you know your always welcome. My sister and brother in law arrive today so I am excited. Have a great day. x
I think it's beautiful! Only you can see the imperfections, but I do understand... I'm just as critical of my own work, and am quick to point out all my errors when others admire my quilts. I'm learning (slowly) to say smile and say "Thank you" and move on.
ReplyDeleteBut I do agree with you... I get far better accuracy piecing by hand
At least you are keeping it and will use it! I used to know a quilter so neurotic that she'd burn projects in her fireplace when they turned out badly. How silly, and what a waste! Embrace the imperfection... after all, we are human! : )
~ Ronda
So glad you are posting again! I am a machine piecer, do some things by hand, but like a little speed with my ever lasting never to be finished projects ;-)
ReplyDeleteYou will find a space on the wall to enjoy it, as it is so pretty!
ReplyDeleteMicki
I have one wall hanging that is very crooked (despite my trying to straighten it out) and I still hang it up every winter. Don't be too hard on yourself (as others have reminded me)and you will find a use for this quilt.
ReplyDeleteConsider a few crooked strips a little "liberated" quiltmaking! Use it on the table or side table and enjoy those absolutely gorgeous colors!
ReplyDeleteI think it's beautiful. Gorgeous colours.
ReplyDeleteThe colors in your quilt are wonderful - I would hang it up and enjoy the beauty of the colors! You left me a comment about the quilt on my blog header - it's from a book by Blackbird Designs called In Full Bloom. I made it half the size of the original and I do like it a lot. Good to find a comment from you. Carol
ReplyDeleteRemember, you can't be perfect because only God is perfect! What about making it a pillow cover?
ReplyDeleteAt the quilt show we saw an old quilt (1940's) that was terribly crooked on the bottom. Today it is being exhibited!
That one is made -- today is another day!
oh cut yourself some slack deary..i know how tough that can be sometimes..
ReplyDeleteit is quite pretty..
limping along is so right too!
maybe a cushion..or you can make it smaller.cut a rectangular piece on bias of the quilt,and make a mug rug..maybe that way you can cut away the part that you dont like!
lol i hope you dont find my cut away idea ridiculous..its something that i might do!
thanks for the visit and the nice comment!
I love the colors, and indeed, machine piecing is not simple. Hand piecing is in the pace of your head, while a machine isn't. So much respect for machine quilters! I take the easy way out as a hand piecer/appliquer/quilter, although it's in general not seen like that. ;-)
ReplyDelete