Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Onion

I was making chicken cacciatore and sliced open this HUGE onion. It was still attached just a little at one side and spread open in a picture-worthy way, I thought.



The jars are some that my mom had for many years. I've done some research on ages and the smaller ones are from around 1930-35 and the two biggest are from 1890-1910. I have another one, also from 1890-1910 which is shorter. I should find a lid for it and use in the kitchen, instead of using it to hold my crochet hooks.


The cutting board was a wedding gift from one of my (ex) husband's friends. He was a cabinet and furniture maker. When he gave us the cutting board, my husband was kind of disgruntled about getting something so simple, that the friend could just "whip out" in a few minutes. That was 30 years ago and this cutting board has, without a doubt, been the most useful and used item we received. I use it nearly every day.


The knife? Hmmm....no colorful story. Just a knife I use for almost all my chopping. I almost switched to a different one for the picture, and I still have another large onion so maybe I'll take a picture with the other knife when I slice it. The other knife I thought about using in the photograph is very long, very old. It was my great grandfather's knife and when the blade has just been sharpened it is wonderful for freshly baked bread and it'll slice a tomato nearly paper thin. I once had a friend send someone to my house, trying to sell me a set a knives. She went on and on about how well they sliced tomatoes. Then I got out my old knife and sliced a few tomatoes myself. Sent her on her way. ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Lovely to have kitchen items with some history, I have jars of my Nans and that belonged to the lady who lived in our house since 1955.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those jars are a real treasure.
    I would have loved to be a fly on the wall when you showed off your knife's tomato cutting skills. They sure don't make them like they used too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those jars are part of my history but all the ones I had kept were snatched up by my daughters.
    Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. The Slow Pokes are special friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having things around me and using them everyday when they belonged to people that I loved. And a gift that some one crafted is extra special. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the jars. I have some like that (green) and love them. Or, are they blue?

    ReplyDelete