Friday, March 20, 2009

Three projects...

Three of the projects I'm currently working on are hand-pieced, using 19th century reproduction prints.

The priority project is my Indian Feathers. I need 36 of these "feather" triangles. I've just finished the 26th one. Yeah! Down to the final 10 countdown! The blocks will be finished with unbleached muslin, sashings and borders will be a dark brown wavy "bark-like" print. I'm also going to add some beading--most likely using carved bone, or shells. I'm so excited about this one!
Next is Tumbling Blocks. Another project I have a hard time putting down! Plans are for this to be a very generous queensize, when it's done. Here are the blocks I have made so far....



And when I need a little break from the other two, I sneak in a few stitches on my Martha Washington's Flower Garden, which I'm English Paper Piecing. I was always intimidated by that technique, but WOW how much fun it is! And so easy! Another one that will end up a generous queensize.






These will all be hand-quilted so, between these three and a couple more machine-pieced queensize tops I have almost assembled (which will also be hand-quilted), these will keep me busy for a couple years.


Trust me, I have plenty of other projects--I love that term "WISPS" (Works in slow progress)--waiting for some attention, too. If unfinished projects give us a reason to keep going, I'm set to live to at least 147.

8 comments:

  1. Yeah!!! Really awesome!! :D
    Real heirlooms in the making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful quilts-to-be! I have never done any of those patterns in the 30 years I have been quilting but I love them. It was only about 6 years ago that I finally did any curved piecing and found that it wasn't as bad as I thought. Also love "WISPS" - I have more than a few of those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your work. i am doing a Grandmother's Flower Garden too, so I do know how much fun it is.
    Great job!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a busy bee. I am following your progress on these beautiful projects. Do you have an OPAM finish this month?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm supposed to actually FINISH something??? :O Well, I did make a blue dishcloth, and I'm working now on a pink one, so those will be "finishes". I'm also pushing myself to finish the pieced border on a large quilt top I've been working on for five years. So until I can send it out to be long-arm quilted, that's as "finished" as it will get!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love the tumbling blocks...

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are just awesome and you are doing them all by hand!! you have your work "cut out" for you girl..(excuse the pun) they look fabulous can't wait to see the diamond cut one. I have not seen that layout before

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the tumbling block pattern. Your photo might just inspire me to attempt one myself:)

    ReplyDelete