Monday, January 19, 2009

Living at the edge...

I live at the edge of the earth.....no, truly....I do! My house is a few hundred yards from where the land ends and the Pacific Ocean begins. I came here for "a few months" when my husband and I divorced. That was eight years ago. A few times I thought I'd be leaving, but "life" had other plans. So this is where I am. For who-knows-how-much-longer?!


A sunset over the ocean...



There are two lighthouses nearby. This one is my favorite.
It sits far out on a very high cliff, down a long, winding pathway.


Along the trail leading out to the lighthouse...


The view to one side of the lighthouse...
The view to the other side of the lighthouse...
On the other side of that cliff, the beach is nothing but sand for about 30 miles.


20 comments:

  1. What beautiful scenery! So very different to my native Georgia. I especially love seeing the lighthouse. I hope you will share more of your part of the world. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like paradise. Can imagine why you haven't left yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beautiful! How lovely to have scenery like that to look at all the time. We lived by the Illinois River when we were first married (eons ago) and even that was lovely. Your part of the world is awesome. My granddaughter lives in Portland and I have been there once. Hope to go again - maybe in the spring with my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an absolutely gorgeous place to live! I would imagine it would be almost impossible to bring yourself to move away from there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah! W.O.W!!!!
    I love it and love your views..wow!!
    I guess it's cold in winter, is it? But wow the rest of time...I'd never get any sewing done!!
    Really pretty...I love sunsets!!
    hugs Robyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cold, wet, dark, windy and miserable in the winter...actually, it's rainy and windy most of the year. Average yearly rainfall amount is about 85 inches. Even in the summer, it's usually pretty cloudy and chilly, with daily ocean mist or sprinkles. Occasionally, though, the jetstream is positioned just right, and we see blue skies (and magnificent star-filled skies at night) That means very cold temps in winter, but some wonderful days in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The climate sounds very much like ours in the Netherlands. It is perfect for quilting.
    Did you notice I let the naughty voices in my head take over? Feeling guilty already for being so weak!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I grew up near the coast, lived on or near the coast all my life. Those breathtaking vistas are the reason why.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How absolutely gorgeous! I've been to Portland OR a few times and twice drove up to Astoria and over the bridge to WA just to see and it's beautiful up there! Years ago, when HGTV built the Dream Home in Nehalem, OR, I tried desperately to win, because I wanted to live near mountains and ocean, both. Didn't win, of course, but now we live in the mountains of NC, and only about 5-6 hours from the coast. Hoping to see the Outer Banks soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Being an Aussie I was just trying to work out which Washington you lived in... it's a tad confusing for us over here.
    I do know Carmel in California quite well and when I saw the coastline photo I can see it's a little bit similar even though it's a very long way away... I have driven all the way up Highway #1 from Mexico to Canada but that was in the late 1960's.
    You do live in a very beautiful part of the World for a Featherduster.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, that drive down highway 1 is really nice. The last time I've been the entire distance was in 1985, I think. I love the Carmel area! I think I'd move there, if I ever won the lottery and could afford it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DH's Uncle lived there till he was 92, he was Mayor long before Clint Eastwood :-) our Uncle's wife is still in Carmel and will turn 101 on the 8th of Feb... must be a good place to live I reckon, she keeps telling us her mother thought she was a weakling and wouldn't survive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey you!
    Me again. :o) Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my quilt.
    Yep, I finished it in 2006...hey where did that go?
    Have a groovy day!
    Rob xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there! Another Hexagon addict checking in. What beautiful views! Please continue to share, your photos are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your ocean pictures. I live on the other side of the country next to the Atlantic and I certainly know what you mean about the sea and the views.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! I envy you the view that you have where you live, I have always loved the ocean. I have seen the Atlantic and the Pacific and was humbled by the beauty and the size of both oceans. I live in the midwest but also love the cornfield and bean fields and know that we feed the world, also humbling. :D
    I am having a great time with these hexagons! I have a piece of the red fabric left, 6"X20" that I would be happy to mail you. Just let me know and I will get it out on Monday!
    Have a wonderful weekend and happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Sherri :D
    Thanks heaps for posting the Q4H button!!
    hugs
    Robyn xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,
    Thanks so much for commenting on my blog and welcome to blogland too. The pictures of where you live are beautiful. We live on the other edge of the earth...a few miles from the Atlantic ocean. I'm off to check out the hexagon blog you belong to. It's a great site.
    ~Karen~

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks like a beautiful place for an artist! I live in Moscow and there is little nature here, even if in one hour drive there's a big and beautiful lake... I ma tired of pollusion. But I don't know if I would be able to live in a place with much nature and not many people around. I got used to a big city.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous, gorgeous photos, what a place to live, lucky, lucky you. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete